SHREDDED VEGETABLE QUINOA SALAD
Quinoa is a delicious protein-packed grain that helps to keep you satisfied until your next meal and is a great addition to any salad! This flavoursome and nutrient dense recipe is a perfect healthy meal for any time of the day and a great way to get you closer to your daily intake of vegetables!
• 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
• 2 large carrots, scrubbed and sliced
• 2 cups of kale, ribs removed and finely chopped
• 1 small onion diced
• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa grains
• ½ cup of sliced almonds
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 3 cups of vegetable stock
• A squeeze of fresh lemon juice to serve (optional)
• Place the cauliflower florets and carrot into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
• Place into a large saucepan with the chopped kale, onion, garlic and olive oil and sauté for a few minutes.
• Add quinoa, sunflower seeds, almonds, pepper and vegetable stock.
• Cover and raise the temperature until gently simmering. Continue simmering for approximately 15 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed and quinoa is well cooked.
• Taste and add a pinch of sea salt if needed plus a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to serve if desired
• This salad can be served warm or cold.
Variations: Substitute some of the vegetables with alternative seasonal choices such as fennel, capsicum, radish, broccoli, zucchini or spinach.